Monday, 29 November 2010

Advent Calendar.

Christmas is without doubt my very favourite time of year, I love everything to do with it! Lets start with advent. Since I've been young, every year, rather than having a shop bought calendar with a chocolate for each day, there has been a riddle of some sort, which will lead to a small present hidden somewhere in my house. My mother always claimed it was the 'elves' that made it. Sadly, those 'elves' had the same handwriting as she did. This year, apparently, me and my sisters are far too old for that. So I decided I'd make myself an advent calendar, with a gingerbread biscuit for each day.

Ingredients:
700g plain flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g butter
350g soft brown sugar
2 egg
8 tbsp Golden Syrup

Heat the syrup, sugar and spices. Add butter to hot mixture and let it melt, stirring occasionally. Allow the mixture to cool. Add the eggs, flour, and soda, and carefully mix, making sure there are no air bubbles. Let the dough stand for the night in a cool place.
Preheat the oven to 200 °. Cover a surface in flour, and roll out the dough into a 3-4 mm thick circular shape.


 Cut the dough into various shapes using cookie/pastry cutters. Bake the gingerbread for 7-10 minutes, depending on their thickness. Keep an eye on them as they can go from golden to black in a matter of minutes. Let them cool and ice. I then drew up what I wanted each biscuit to look like, it makes icing a lot easier!

Personally, I tend to use ready made icing for details, purely for simplicity and less mess. But, you can mix 125g icing sugar with one egg and a few drops of lemon juice, to make a more viscous icing which is easier to decorate with.


I know there are only a few days until advent starts, but hopefully some of you will take inspiration and make your own gingerbread advent calendar!

Love Jenni xxx

4 comments:

  1. Thats very cute, lovely :)
    wow, advent in your house seems so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! Those cookies look delish!

    xoxo,

    colormenana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I haven't been on your blog for so long! I LOVE this post, its a brilliant idea :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete