Saturday, 1 May 2010

Lemon Capri Torte

Ever since I began my lemon fetish at the beginning of this spring, I haven't stopped eating anything 'lemony'. Which is why I set off this morning to the local farmers market in order to buy some fresh ingredients for a lemon tart. Sadly, as I got there rather late, many of the sellers had already gone home after selling their entire stock. I managed to get loaf of bread, some fresh fish, and a bite of lunch. I sat in view of the river eating my Ciabatta filled with crumbed chicken and rocket and decied to do a little bit of shopping. I went straight to Cancer Research and bagged myself a pair of cropped chinos, for £6.50! Anyway, in order to get my ingerdients, I decided to resort to good old Tesco Metro.

The tart I made was a Lemon Capri Torte, which fulfilled my desire for something lemony without fail.





Ingredients: 150g butter; plus extra for greasing, 225g caster sugar, 6 eggs; separated, zest and juice of 4 unwaxed lemons, 300g ground almonds, 115g potato/cornflour; plus extra for flouring.

Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6. Grease and flour a 23cm round cake tin.

Cream the butter and sugar(this takes a bit of strength, so I recommend you leave the butter to warm slightly), add the egg yolks in one go, then add the lemon zest and lemon juice. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and add to the mixture. Lastly, fold in the ground almonds and the flour. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 10 minutes, then turn the heat down to 150C/130C fan/Gas 2 and cook for a further 40 minutes- yes, it is extremely annoying as all you want to do is eat it but do be patient, the outcome is definitely worth it. Cool and turn over.



Enjoy!
Jenni xxx

2 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds delicious, I must try it sometime! Can I do it without the almonds and will it still taste nice?
    UO x
    http://unionolivia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The almonds are just used to make the tart gluten free and less bloating, so you can either just use more potato/cornflour but that might make it too 'fluffy' so you can use plain flour too. I hope that works out!
    Jenni xxx

    ReplyDelete